iklan banner

How big is the carbon footprint of the GW conference in Bali this week?

Q. How many celebrities flew private jets in to address the conference? Wouldn't it be better to do all that sort of thing via satellite feed from localized spots? Or did the royalty just want a nice holiday in a tropical paradise?

I think I already know the answer.

A. According to a recent article from Bloomberg.com -

"Government officials and activists flying to Bali, Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause as much pollution as 20,000 cars in a year.

The delegates each will produce an average 4.07 metric tons of carbon dioxide, or CO2, to reach the resort island 950 kilometers (600 miles) from Jakarta, according to estimates e- mailed to Bloomberg by the UN agency holding the conference.

Some of the 187 nations participating in the two-week forum promised to offset their so-called carbon footprint by planting trees or buying emission credits. The symbolic actions won't help stop global warming, some scientists say.

``It's very hard for the public to understand that you come together with so many people to a very distant place and cause a lot of emissions, and at the same time talk about emission reductions,'' Artur Runge-Metzger, head of climate strategy for the European Commission, said yesterday in an interview in Bali, adding that he had offset his own emissions."

........................

The article states later that -

"The UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the conference organizer, failed to get governments to include offsetting projects in the group's budget, said Yvo de Boer, executive secretary of the convention. Some of the 10,000 attendees to this year's meeting, held in air-conditioned rooms at the tropical beach resort, planned their own projects.

Proposals Abound

Indonesia will plant 79 million trees to offset the entire conference's emissions, Emil Salim, head of the host country's delegation, told reporters yesterday in Bali. The Asian nation is investigating how to develop its tree-planting activity to ensure a lasting offset, said Amanda Katili, special assistant to Environment Minister Rachmat Witoelar."

........................................

With this little part included...

"EU Environment Commissioner Stavros Dimas and three of his staff are buying so-called carbon credits, each representing a reduction of a ton of carbon dioxide, on the EU Emissions Trading Scheme, commission spokeswoman Barbara Helfferich said in a telephone interview.

$132 `Out of Pocket'"

.............................................

I just love that kind of message - you know the kind... The message that states "I'll just throw money at the problem - whether or not the money will actually do anything positive, I'll throw money at it..."

Make no mistake: In most cases, "the royalty" as you put it really don't "change" their own manner of living. The Church of Global Warming's "Pope" (Al Gore) and his priests, bishops, and alter boys - governments, scientists, and celebrities - don't overly change their lifestyle, they just throw more money at the issue. Then the sermon tells all of the church membership (global warming believers) - as well as the "unbelieving infidel" (skeptics) - that everyone else needs to actually CHANGE the way we live...

I do my part to be more "environmentally friendly" - but I don't have a lot of "disposable income" to throw at a carbon offset or to sooth my environmental conscience with... I have actually made changes that I can afford, yet I'm still being told that I'm NOT DOING ENOUGH...

I guess that's why I'm one of the "unbelieving infidels"...

What is the best Pacific island to visit to on a vacation, besides Hawaii?
Q. I have seen pictures of the Cook Islands and Tahiti, and I really want to travel there. but are there any other, nice islands?

A. In Indonesia they have the Island of Bali, where the volcano doesn't spill volcanic ash or hot magma but Nitrous Oxide that makes the inhabitants happy all the time.
Also in Indonesia go to the Island of Batam near by Sumatra, they have great underwater reefs that are very exotic and mesmerizing. The island of Sulawesi, you can go to Manado, they have great mountainous view and great food.
You can go to Tazmania of the east coast of Australia or You can go to New Zealand.
They all have great places to go.
Remember the Chronicles of Narnia? If you have seen the movie, it was taken in New Zealand.
So, go there; Hawaii is too over rated.

What is the best way to learning bahasa Indonesian?
Q. I am going to Indonesia for a business trip in two months. I'd like to speak some indonesian phrases and indonesian words when I am there. What is the best way to learning bahasa Indonesia? Are there any special courses for this? Thank you.

A. What part of Indonesia are you going? I've only been to Bali :)

I learn Indonesian at school so I can't recommend any "proper" courses I personally know of but you should be able to teach yourself quite a lot from the internet. I've been teaching myself Polish from the internet and I actually know quite a lot. Just google it.

This website - http://www.linguanaut.com/learn_indonesian.htm is free and has phrases, numbers, and all that stuff. You can also try http://www.learningindonesian.com/ which has mp3's to it if you want to here the sound of words. There is a free version and paid version, I think. You might want to check out some books on it, or see if there are any courses available near you.

Some simple phrases:
Hello/hi - Hai!
Good morning - Selamat pagi
How are you? - Apa kabar?
I'm good - Baik
And you? - Dan Anda/Kamu? (best to say Anda in formal situations - kamu if a friend)
Thanks - Terima kasih
No - Tidak
Yes -Ya
Please - Tolong
I don't understand - Saya tidak mengerti

Indonesian isn't too hard. There are no tenses or genders. I find the accent and sentence structure most difficult. For example 'my mother' is 'Ibu saya' which technically is 'mother my/I' but you get used to it. Hope this helped and good luck :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Previous
Next Post »
iklan banner